Monday, November 16, 2015

Response to NPR's Real-Life Interrogations


I really enjoyed listening to Douglas Starr talk about interrogation tactics and false confessions, before listening to this audio I believed that anxiety has nothing to do with someone's guilt. I agree with what he explained about some people being able to look at you straight in the eye and lie, and there can be some people that get nervous and have anxiety symptoms even if they are completely innocent. Anxiety should not be a reason to assume that someone is guilty, I think there should be more evidence, and proof of someone being guilty. I found the case from Nebraska of Nancy's death very interesting, however I was not surprised about the husbands reaction I think people's minds can believe anything you make yourself believe. I definitely think the peace model for interrogation sounds as the most successful method in achieving the correct answer regarding who is guilty of committing a false act.  The peace model as described by Starr, is a method of not using anxiety as a judgment about whether someone is guilty or not, but a method of a massive amount of questioning to the point where if the person is guilty they get caught in there own lies. This is because if the person is lying they can only tell a fake story for so long. The person eventually will forget the details and the truth will be brought upon them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment